SSL is a form of encryption protocol that secures data between browsers and servers. SSL certificates are issued to websites & web portals to ensure a safer experience for businesses & customers.
When you sign-up for a Freshdesk account, the default account URL, which is usually in the format - yourcompanyname.freshdesk.com is enabled with a default SSL provided by Freshdesk.
When do you need an SSL Certificate?
Any custom portal URL that you create for your helpdesk needs an SSL certificate to load securely (in HTTPS)
How do you get an SSL certificate?
- Go to Admin>Channels>Portals>Select the required portal
- Type your custom domain under the 'Portal URL' and add the CNAME record generated by Freshdesk to your domain's DNS.
- Ensure that the CNAME record is successfully published and hit Save.
- The Freshworks SSL certificate will automatically be approved and enabled for your domain within 24 hours.
- Once the SSL certificate is enabled, the icon next to the Portal URL will turn green, indicating that your custom portal is secured.
Before SSL Certificate is enabled:
After SSL Certificate is enabled: