TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Quick guide to integrating Freshdesk with Google Analytics:
- Google Analytics 4 upgrade impact on Freshdesk apps
Google Analytics is doing a version upgrade from Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4. Scroll down to the second section to see what's changing.
When you integrate Freshdesk with Google Analytics, you can get a quick idea of what customers are looking for in your support portal, which solution articles get the most traffic, and where your customers spend their time in your portal. You can use this information to drive content in your knowledge base and fine-tune solution articles.
Quick guide to integrating Freshdesk with Google Analytics:
To integrate Google Analytics with your helpdesk, you'll first have to create a new property in your Analytics account:
- You can do this from the Admin section after you log in to Google Analytics
- Click on + Create property under any of your existing accounts
- If this is the first time you're using Google Analytics, you'll have to set up a new account and then create a new property
- Under what would you like to track, choose website
- Give your support portal a name, and specify your support portal URL
- Choose your timezone and click the Get Tracking ID button
Once you're done, you'll be taken to a new page that lists your tracking ID.
It begins with 'UA' for Universal Analytics
The tracking ID is called Measurement ID in GA4, and begins with 'G'
Copy the required tracking/Measurement ID.
- Log into your Freshdesk account as an Admin.
- Go to Admin > Support Operations > Apps.
- Click on 'Get More Apps' from the top right and search for Google Analytics.
- You will be prompted to enter the Google Analytics Tracking/Measurement ID you just copied. Key it in, and click Enable. Click Update in case you are updating the tracking ID based on a new property you created on Google Analytics.
And you are done! The stats from your Freshdesk support portal should start appearing in your Analytics account in a while. Please note that this information will not show up in your Freshdesk account, but only in Google Analytics. You can learn how to enable site search so that you can track search terms here.
Google Analytics 4 upgrade impact on Freshdesk apps
Google Analytics is doing a version upgrade from Universal Analytics (UA) to Google Analytics version 4 (GA4).
What’s Changing with Google Analytics:
- On July 1, 2023, all standard Universal Analytics properties will stop processing data.
- After July 1, 2023, you'll be able to access your previously processed data in your Universal Analytics property for at least six months. It is advisable to export your historical reports during this time.
- 360 Universal Analytics properties with a current order will receive a one-time processing extension ending on July 1, 2024.
- Any property created before 14 Oct 2022 is most probably a UA property, and after that is a GA4 property (as per Google).
- In the coming months, Google will provide a future date for when existing Universal Analytics properties will no longer be available. After this future date, you'll no longer be able to see your Universal Analytics reports in the Analytics interface or access your Universal Analytics data via the API.
What does this mean for you?
Once you upgrade from Universal Analytics to GA4, you need to update the GA4 Measurement ID in Freshdesk. Once that is updated, you can continue using the app as before.