Apart from allowing you to format your solution articles in rich text, Freshdesk also lets you customize their meta information. That way, you can optimize your Knowledge Base for search engines and make sure that they rank better on Google.
The easiest way to do this is to fill out the SEO information every time you write a solution article. In case you have already populated your Knowledge Base, you can go through a one-time activity where you optimize all your existing solution articles. Making this a process would help you achieve more organic traffic for your KBase and in return more engagement on your support portal.
It also helps if your meta information is in accordance to the best practices for Google optimization.
Quick guide to optimizing your knowledge base for search engines:
- Go to Solutions.
- Browse through your solution articles to find an existing one, or create a new one yourself.
- Once you are on the New Article page, you will find that the Search engine optimisation tab is available under the Article Properties panel.
- Type in a Title that is not longer than 50-60 characters (recommended).
- Type in a Description that has a maximum length of 150-160 characters (recommended).
- Specify relevant keywords you want to use with the solution article.
- Click Save.
Note: The character count is visible below the text area and this turns to red if you exceed the recommended limit
If you are on the Estate plan or above, you can add meta information to your support portal so that it can be found easily using search engines. To do this,
- Go to Admin > Portals > Customize portal > Layouts & Pages.
- Enter the meta information in the Head section .
Click Save and Publish once you're done.